Time for a bit of genealogy fun. I haven't played Randy's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun for a while, but let's play now. His game this week is an Ancestral Name List Roulette:
- How old is one of your grandfathers now, or how old would he be if he had lived? Divide this number by 4 and round the number off to a whole number. This is your "roulette number."
- Use your pedigree charts or your family tree genealogy software program to find the person with that number in your ancestral name list (some people call it an "ahnentafel"). Who is that person?
- Tell us three facts about that person in your ancestral name list with the "roulette number."
- My paternal grandfather, Hendrik van Kampen (1912-1997) would be 98 now (100 next year). 98 divided by four, rounded to a whole number, gives 25.
- Let's see: 25 is the mother of 12, 12 is the father of 6, 6 is the father of 3, 3 is my mother. So 6 is my maternal grandfather Theodorus Joannes Gerardus Adrianus Pardoen, 12 is his father Theodorus Johannes Adrianus Pardoen, and 25 is Aaltje Sophia van der Hoogt (1848-1887).
- Aaltje Sophia is probably the only one of my second great-grandparents that I know almost nothing about, but let's give it a try.
- As her older siblings died before she was born, she should have been named after one of her grandmothers, as was customary in Holland at the time. Surprisingly, she was named after both - her grandmothers were Aaltje de Bruin and Sophia de Ruiter. That's very unusual for the time.
- Aaltje Sophia died less than ten years after she married. In the almost ten years of her marriage, she and her family moved from Den Haag to Delft, from Delft to Schiedam, from Schiedam to Medemblik, from Medemblik to Houten, from Houten to Soest, from Soest to Bodegraven, and from Bodegraven to Hillegom. After her death, her husband remarried, had more children, and lived for another almost 40 years, but never moved to another town again.
- Her husband remarried after her death and named his first child from his second marriage Aaltje Sophia.
Labels: de bruin, de ruiter, pardoen, saturday night genealogy fun, van der hoogt, van kampen